The Athletic’s Liverpool correspondent James Pearce says that midfielder Fabinho is a “worry” for him as the season progresses, per The Red Agenda podcast (March 3rd, 18:10).
What’s he said?
The Brazil international joined the club in 2018 in a £39m transfer from AS Monaco.
He has since made 47 Premier League appearances for the club but he has battled injuries this season, suffering a ligament injury against Napoli in the Champions League in November.
He subsequently missed eight league games, the entirety of the FIFA Club World Cup, the Champions League tie with RB Salzburg, the FA Cup tie with Everton, and the EFL Cup quarter-final against Aston Villa.
And Pearce claims that he has not got back to his best following his return.
He said: “Fabinho’s a worry for me.
“He’s been nowhere near the level he was at since he’s come back from his two months out with ankle ligament damage.”
Carefully managed
Fabinho only made his league return in January, playing seven minutes in the 2-0 win over Manchester United at Anfield.
Since then, he has played the full 90 minutes just three times, against Southampton, West Ham United and, on Sunday, against Watford. The Reds, of course, lost 3-0 to the Hornets, bringing an ignominious end to their unbeaten run.
One has to wonder, though, if it isn’t just Fabinho.
Call yourself a Liverpool expert? How much did each of these big-money January signings cost?
Liverpool have not been at the same level since the winter break at the beginning of February, struggling past Norwich City and West Ham, and then losing to Watford.
Coupling the club’s lack of form with a player who has had fitness issues is a recipe for something approaching disaster.
It does not appear to be solely Fabinho’s fault.
Meanwhile, Liverpool have been criticised for missing out on this PL ace!